Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Clueless again

On his blog, Jeff VanderMeer says the fact that award-winning fiction writer Joe Hill is Stephen King's son was, until recently, "the worst-kept secret in the history of secrets," common knowledge "for MONTHS all over genre."

On her blog, my hero Gwenda Bond agrees that "most everybody knew ... And it's time people are talking about this openly."

I'd just like to say for the record that once again, I am the most clueless "insider" in the field of science fiction, fantasy and horror, proof that one can publish and read and network like mad for a decade and still miss all the gossip, tumble to none of the secrets. I guess I should be proud of my wholesale ignorance; what choice do I have, really?

I guess this means Joe Hill, under his birth name, was a Vassar classmate of my old friend Melissa Sorongon, because I remember her telling me she went to school with Stephen King's son. Melissa also went to high school with Blair Beitner, now movie star Selma Blair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You weren't the only one. I had no idea. Granted, I'm more than a little out of touch.